The Best Relationship Tips May Be In The Hands Of A Relationship Coach!
Most people with relationship concerns would like sound relationship tips and advice, but dread having to explore childhood issues and address psychological and physical symptoms before focusing on their actual goals. Psychotherapy is the right treatment if you have a mental health diagnosis, trauma, or beliefs that are deeply ingrained and difficult to manage on your own. However, if you are a functioning individual with few (or none) of these symptoms, have specific goals in mind and would like to learn how to choose healthy partners, acquiring the right set of skills through coaching is the way to do so. Below is a list of essential differences in the type of relationship tips and focus between Psychotherapy and Coaching:
|identifiable dysfunction||healthy client desiring a better situation|
|childhood experiences||present and future experiences|
|resolve old pain||learn new skills|
|internal struggles||external factors|
|origins of negative self-beliefs||self-beliefs as temporary obstacles|
The answers to the following questions will help your Coach decide which treatment is best for you:
- What kind of relationship tips or advice are you looking for (What issue[s] do you want to resolve)?
- What are your goals for the sessions?
- What are the skills that you would like to learn?
- What have you tried in the past that was unsuccessful?
- What are the factors that are contributing to the problem (i.e., partner’s family involvement)?
- What are the factors that are preventing you from reaching your goals(a) (i.e, every time that you try to negotiate with your partner, he/she leaves the room)?
- What are the personal beliefs that interfere with your ability to reach your goals (i.e, if you admit guilt, you will look like a fool)?
- Do you have psychological symptoms or identifiable diagnoses: (i.e, depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder)?
- Have you had any thoughts of hurting yourself or someone else in the last 2 years?
Keep in mind that some Psychotherapists are also Coaches, and having a practitioner who has experience in both fields is ideal; this way they can help you identify psychological issues that may prevent you from reaching your goals. However, once anyone acting as a Coach identifies issues that are beyond the scope of the Coaching practice, they should suggest that you have parallel sessions with a Psychotherapist. In order to get the relationship tips that will lead you to make the right decisions, choose wisely! Your comments are very important to me and help me guide future article choices. Please share your relationship tips with me! You can comment below or on my Facebook page. I will read all of your comments and make every effort to address your questions, struggles, and concerns in future articles.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR Author Georgiana Spradling, Ph.D., MFT, CDVC, is a multicultural and multilingual (English, Spanish, French) Emotional Intelligence and Relationship Coach with over 20 years of experience helping people choose the right partners and avoid the wrong ones, manage emotions and behaviors in self and others, leave unhealthy partnerships and move past old relationships. She is a Certified Domestic Violence Counselor and has a Certificate as an Anger Management Facilitator. Her e-book: “Don’t Get Stuck With the Wrong Partner: Learn to detect unhealthy traits and behaviors in others” is available on Amazon Kindle. In it you will find more dating tips:
- 60 questions that will help you determine who your current or potential partner may be.
- 10 dimensions that may reveal inconsistent, unhealthy or harmful patterns of behavior in another person.
- Suggestions on how to interpret inconsistencies in behavior in the person that you are considering committing to.
- Advice on what to do when you find traits and behaviors that make you uncomfortable or that suggest deeply rooted physical or psychological issues that are hard to manage and live with.
You can subscribe to her YouTube Channel and to her online news bulletin “Relationships On Fire” on her website at www.drgeorgiana.com. Dr. Georgiana coaches on the telephone, online or in her office in San Francisco (USA) and offers a FREE 25-minute consultation. She can be reached through her website: www.drgeorgiana.com, by e-mail: email@example.com or phone: 1-650-731-5105.